Saturday, February 21, 2004

PC: Political Correctness and Private Catholic (2/21/04)
My "Alma Mater" is an All-Boys Private Catholic school, one of the last institutions in the world that has yet to bow to Political Correctness and open to both genders, an issue that had quite a few of us steaming as there were other Catholic schools that merged/went co-ed voluntarily.
Yet Political Correctness has already permeated its hallways and classrooms.
Despite the fact that my graduating class would end up being roughly 90% white, 85% Catholic, and 100% male, my high school took pride (and still takes pride) in offering mandatory "Minority Club" sessions and in being "beyond petty religious differences" (which is of course why Religion courses taught by Catholic teachers are a four year requirement there).
I love the place, of course, and there's something to be said about the challenge of Catholic education. But being a minority and something of a liberal (a deeply conservative liberal) made going there difficult, to say the least.
And yet I made a concious choice to go there, making me yet another minority, this time among the thousands and thousands of students who attended because it was their best chance at a real education.
None of them had any complaints, either, so who am I to talk?

No comments: