Wednesday, July 09, 2008

So this weekend we went to my Dad's side of the family at their place in That State Up North, which was a fun experience. Besides the fact that nobody's stiletto heel got burnt off by a badly-aimed bottle rocket this year (long story), I think the best part of the experience was probably my mom's "Family Fun Activity": playing bingo with three generations of my family, and my dad's "Family Fun Activity": cleaning out two generations of my family at the poker table. Let's take a look side-by-side:

MOM'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: Provide a way for everyone to compete and have fun together.
DAD'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: Provide a way for everyone to compete and lose to one of the old guys.

MOM"S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: Prizes of fun and $25 gift certificates, which amped up the competition.
DAD'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: Prizes of one-upmanship and being able to school other people, which amped up the competition.

MOM'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: Every member of my cousin Michael's family won something.
DAD'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: My cousin Michael's mom bankrupted three players within the first hour.

MOM'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: The best story of the night was me sitting there calling the numbers for bingo and watching the smile erupt across my grandfather's face as he won the first round, finally able to participate in something simple and joyful with his children.
DAD'S FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: The best story of the night was me sitting there calling my Dad's bluff in Hold'em and watching the smile erupt across my face as I revealed a flush, five of clubs and ace kicker...and then disappear when my father also had a flush, six of clubs and ace kicker, and because of "House rules" (i.e. "We're too lazy to split the pot like we're supposed to") won because six is apparently higher than five. What the f-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait, wait, tell me if i have this right...there were four clubs in the center and you played the flush draw with a five? dangerous move my friend, very dangerous move.

-ryan