Friday, September 05, 2008

The Existentialist Creed

I am not an animal.

I am not my body. I am not my test scores.

I am not my job. I am not my college. I am not my major. I am not my resume or my title or my salary or my material wealth.

I am not how many girls I've had or how many drugs I snort. I am not a burnt-out liver or soot-covered lungs or my own diseased self.

I am not the friends I hang out with, the girls I date, the church I go to, the clubs I belong to. I am not what parties I'm invited to, nor the ones I go to.

I am not a stereotype. I am not a belief. I am not my past. I am not my potential.

I am not nothing; I reject the Nihilist.

I am not anything; I reject the Relativist.
I am not pleasure's toy; I reject the Hedonist.
I am not suffering; I reject the Buddhist.
I am not "stuff"; I reject the Consumerist.
I am not a number to be toyed with; I reject the Communist.
I am not my own greed; I reject the Objectivist.
I am not purposeless; I reject the Absurdist.
I am not an individual for my own sake; I reject the Anarchist.
I am not alone; I reject the Solipsist.

I am not meaningless; I reject the Atheist.

Who am I, then?



I am only what I choose to be.

No comments: