Monday, February 02, 2009

Some more fun facts for Valerie

So my friend Valerie was peeved that I didn't tag her in the posts about "16 things about myself" and "25 things about myself", so I wrote this little ditty to cheer her up:

1) My friend fPendl and I have developed an elaborate code-naming system for girls that we want to talk about without them knowing, which includes a rotating cipher and Spanish. One of our code names is "Valerie", which works out really well, except when we're actually talking about a girl named Valerie.

2) One of my favorite blogs, www.ourhonordefend.com, is written by an Ohio State fan deep in "enemy territory", specifically Alabama. It contains somewhere on there a really, really, REALLY funny story about one of the authors (Vico) getting into a fight with an alcoholic single mom. Go here: http://www.ourhonordefend.com/2008/04/better-know-a-buckeye-shawntel-rowell.php and scroll down to comment #5.

3) I feel really bad because the more friends I make from Alabama, the more jokes come to mind about it. Also, of my friends from Alabama, one showed me the glory of GirlTalk, and one is one of my closest friends at school, so I can't really make any more stereotypes about it. I can, however, say bad things about Auburn. Tommy Tuberville, this is karma for you. Go learn what it's like to be fifth best in your conference- oh, wait.

4) I've always had good luck with roommates.

5) Of my closest friends, I would say probably at least 60% are female. And that's with me going to an all-boys school.

6) I got all my athletic talent from my mom (who is a great musician), and all my musical talent from my dad (who is a great athlete). It's like getting the worst of both worlds. And my brother got the best. It makes me upset.

7) I simultaneously hate and love formals and formal events. The feeling of getting dressed up, the awkward dates, the dancing, the sweat...I still can't tell if I love it or hate it...

8) My roommates always study more than I do, and it makes me feel really guilty.

9) Some days I just go to my room, lock the door, and waste hours surfing the web to no great effect. It's the 21st century equivalent to channel-surfing for me. I can't deal with too much order in my life, unfortunately.

10) I know just enough CSS, HTML, Java, Unix commands, FTP protocol, and video editing to impress people who don't know anything about it.

11) I love ginger beer and other ginger-based drinks. So did my old roommate, K, though I didn't find out until after he had drank his way through the 12-pack I was saving for exam time.

12) A lot of my writings about womenfolk tend to spring from experiences with ex-girlfriends, which is one of my many terrible writing habits.

13) I was the last kid in my kindergarten class to learn how to read, and I still shudder sometimes at how humiliated I felt when all the other kids would go into the library and pick out books they could read by themselves, and I felt like a stupid baby.

14) Not only was I once basically bilingual in English and Spanish, and let that die, but I was also once basically bilingual in English and Korean- I would speak to my mom in Korean and my dad in English as a small child, and would not realize I was speaking a different language.

15) I think I have a preference for blondes at first sight, but have only dated one.

16) I have picked up an embarassing amount of my musical knowledge from movie and TV soundtracks, Guitar Hero, and other such trivial pursuits.

18) Bill Withers' song "Use Me" is one of my favorite songs of all time, even when I'm not feeling cynical (and that's a whole other blog post).

19) I am really, really lazy when it comes to simple things like mailing stuff on time, or buying more toilet paper/floss/garbage bags.

20) I'm a neat freak, but I hate cleaning things.

21) I have NO CLASS ON FRIDAYS. It made me happy. Then I met a guy who only has class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That made me sad.

22) I really need to rein in the privacy settings on my Facebook and cull my friends list down a bit. Yet I'm really afraid of offending people by defriending them, even if they never talk to me.

23) I often fantasize about my life being a slow-motion montage set to music in which the camera follows me in a long tracking shot as I smoke a cigarette, bump fists with a macho friend, and raise a suggestive eyebrow at some ladies.

24) I've never been able to successfully complete the friend-to-boyfriend transition.

25) I profess to hate these 25-things-about-yourself things, but my narcissistic side always wins out. What can I say? I'm a vain *******.

No comments: