Monday, June 08, 2009

Assorted Odds and Ends

I'm running behind because of the improv class I've been taking, so it will take a moment for me to catch up with a full blog post. In the meantime, here are some good links and short anecdotes I wrote up while on break at work:

Serious Stuff
-On the dearth of women in education, with some excellent comments on sexism and some...not so excellent comments

-I *definitely* saw this giant shark in the "extinct sea creatures" part of the Smithsonian...

-More good comments on Disney's latest princess movie, which strikes me as...ummm...well...maybe a little racist...but not this bad. Maybe this bad.

-The New Yorker has an interesting, if a bit bizarre article about creative writing classes and their relative effectiveness

Amusing Stuff
-From the Wikipedia entry on Hamlet:
"Some scholars have observed that revenge tragedies come from traditionally Catholic countries, such as Spain and Italy; and they present a contradiction, since according to Catholic doctrine the strongest duty is to God and family." Note that (according to the late, great Mr. P, God rest his soul), when the Medici's plotted assassinations in Florence, they would usually attack the target in a church, and would time the stabbing to commence with the raising of the chalice during Communion. To quote, "Only the Catholics could conceive of such a plot". (that single line is the one that convinced me to go to my high school)

-There is a girl named Lindsay in my improv class, who definitely fell asleep outside with a book on her face and no suntan lotion on her belly. Her lovely belly is now the rough color and texture of a boiled, prickly, aloe-vera'd lobster, which she spent about five minutes having to reveal to a bunch of medically curious young men in our class.

-I have to include an Emily story in this post to make sure she has more tags on my blog than Kaity does. On her time in London:
"I didn't really appreciate it...When I was a kid my parents had to bribe me to go to the British Museum by promising we'd eat at Friday's afterwards..."

1 comment:

Minh Nguyễn said...

Ah, that was one of many great observations in Mr. P’s class.