Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Assorted News and Notes

Basketball:
So the other day I got the opportunity to see UConn play a women's basketball game, and I must say, it was surprisingly entertaining. There's a reason that that team has a umpteen-game winning street; they're very well coached and certainly better at fundamental skills like press-breaking, entry passes, and backdoor cuts than the middle school team I helped coach in 8th grade. It was not as much fun to watch, however, as the coach, Geno Auriemma, an absolutely delightful chap who looked like a shaven Nick Nolte and had exactly two facial expressions going the entire time:

1) The pained/irate/grouchy "Why is it so loud in here, didn't they tell the students I went pub crawling last night" look and

2) The slightly bemused, slightly skeptical, slightly disgusted "I can't believe I'm actually here" look, which he gave at least three times to his assistant coach, one of those Evil Icy Blondes they called up from central casting. In fact, at one point during the evening I swear they had this exchange:

Icy Blonde: "I can't believe the ref called that a foul!"
Geno: "I can't believe I'm coaching women's basketball!"
Icy Blonde: "What did you say???"
Geno: "Oi, hangover."

In addition, some incredibly baller jump-roping kids performed at half-time, and I heartily wish that competitive jump-roping had been a sport when I was a kid.


Speaking of things that may or may not be sports:
The fine gentleman from EDSBS, one of the best blogs on the net, studies the art of Curling, or, as he calls it, "Scottis Tetris". http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/19/1258965/the-amateur-goes-curling.

Speaking of things that may or may not be (sports, music, movies...)
This dissection of the long-forgotten Star Wars Episode I has perhaps the most pointed critique of both the logical and narrative problems in the film. Although there's more bad language than your mom can shake a stick at, the irritating narrator is dead-on, and his explanation of how most good film plots follow a simple structure/character arc should be Required Viewing for Screenwriting 101. This little spin on grindhouse films should be extra credit. And so should Pulp Fiction.

Social Engineering: the Forgotten Major
I will have more on this later, but a dear friend got me a copy of famous hacker Kevin Mitnick's book The Art of Deception. It's wonderful and evil and paranoia-inducing and terrible.


No comments: