Sunday, June 29, 2014

"These men--traffic with devils..."

Quote Describing My Mood

The Arab opened his eyes. The flap of his kaffiyeh had been pulled away from his white-bearded face, and Hale saw blood on the man's teeth when he grimaced. "Get out of this, bin Sikkah," he whispered. "These men--traffic with devils--"

"Salim," said Hale urgently in Arabic, "I am still working for Creepo, under deep cover. This is a pretense, a trick, to confound this lot's plans. Are you hearing me? I--I pretend to kiss the enemy's hand, the better to be sure of cuting it cleaning off."

Bin Jalawi's mouth opened in what might have been a pained smile, as if he were trying to laugh. "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din," he said in English, quoting the Kipling poem that Hale sometimes used to recite when drunk; and then he shuddered and died.

-Declare, Tim Powers

No comments: